CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Splurge!

Before my guy passed away, we spent a lot of time in bookstores. A lot of time. We both enjoyed browsing, chatting in the cookbook aisle and hauling home a stack (or two!) of new books. He favored cookbooks, nature guides and puzzle books, with the occasional classic thrown in for good measure. Me? Crazy for romance, mysteries and crossword puzzle books. Also loved cookbooks, big time.

Now, bookstore browsing has lost its appeal. It's just no fun without him. And, to be perfectly honest, the financial situation has changed so, for now at least, the days of bringing home stacks of books is out of the question.

But, every once in a while a gal's gotta splurge, doesn't she? Besides, I don't remember the last time I bought a book. I know it was in the hospital gift shop but I can't for the life of me remember when or what I bought. The only thing I'm sure of is that I left it in the patients' lounge for someone else to read when I was done with it. That's what I did with all the books I bought last year.

Anyhow...

Yesterday the UPS guy pulled into the driveway. Man, I was psyched--I heard his truck and met him at the door. A few days ago I splurged, calling B&N and ordering a short stack of books I've really wanted to read.

I am so excited by these books, I can't even begin to tell you how much they make me smile. I think I feel a smile coming from up above, too. My guy loved watching me mull over which book to read first, the way I did last night. I opened, then closed, each one, knowing full well they'll all quench my thirst for a good romance. Too, they'll sweep me away, letting me escape for a while. I need that.

Well, I'm not going to divulge which book I decided to read first. I'll just say that I was awake into the wee hours of the morning, and this time it wasn't because of insomnia. No, I was deep into a fabulous story--and loving every minute of it.

Yes, this was definitely a worthwhile splurge!

On the topic of fabulous books, have you peeked in at The Lark Journals this week? Big news! One of Kathleen O'Connor's romances has been rereleased. If I had known about it last week, it would have been on my book splurge order. Now you know what's at the top of my new splurge list! Why don't you check it out? Kathy writes such heartwarming, realistic romances. I never can put one of hers down without reading it from cover to cover.

So, what are you reading? And have you splurged on anything lately that's really brought you pleasure? I hope you have, and I hope whatever you chose makes you smile the way I'm smiling now.

Have a peaceful day!




5 comments:

Dru said...

I like what you splurge on. I've been reading a lot of mysteries and the one I'm reading is a cozy but yet different and I like it. I'm reading Choke by Kaye George. Most of the book splurges that I doing is on my e-reader.

Have a good day.

Marianne Arkins said...

I love having my eReader ... makes splurging so much easier. Um, maybe that's NOT such a good thing?

Love the authors you chose. They're both fabulous.

Wendy said...

Like Marianne, I also have an eReader - with about 300 books on it at the moment! I still read every other book in "real" form, however. Can't ever get away from the feel and smell of a book in my hands. I did go to Chapters (Canadian equivalent of B&N) last night with full intentions of a splurge, but after an hour of browsing, I left with nothing. :( It was good therapy, though!

Jennifer Shirk said...

OOoh how fun! I love a good splurge now and again.
I just bought Melissa's book too but I haven't read it yet. I did read Jill's book: simply Irresistable and really enjoyed it.

Melissa McClone said...

Oh, wow! I'm a splurge and in such great company! You made my day. Considering I can't breathe and can barely see through watering eyes, that's saying something!

Enjoy the new books!