CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Fast Spatula

Last night I pushed myself back into the kitchen. I can't live on frozen dinners and cold cereal forever, can I? That's how I convinced myself to dust off my spatula.

And, after a day of dusting, vacuuming, wood stacking and writing (see the last one?) I was hungry.

So, one of my favorite recipes. I adapted it a bit, leaving out the sour cream, parsley and applesauce. I just used ordinary jarred salsa. It was yummy and I've got leftovers! Yay!

That's good, because I could be hungry again tonight. Snow-clearing does that to a gal.

That's right. It's snowing here. I don't want to talk about it!

Hope you have a warm Thursday.

Bean Cakes with Apple Salsa

1 can black beans
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 T. taco flavoring
2 cups shredded apples
small bunch cilantro
vegetable oil
1 cup applesauce
½ cup prepared salsa
1/4 cup sour cream
2 T. chopped parsley

Chop onion into small pieces. Chop cilantro. Set aside.

Place beans, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, garlic and taco flavoring into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixture is nearly smooth. Pour bean mixture into a large bowl and add apples and cilantro and stir to mix.

In a small bowl, mix together applesauce, salsa, sour cream and parsley. Chill.

In a large skillet, heat a small quantity of vegetable oil. Using a ladle, scoop out bean mixture into skillet, flattening with back of ladle to form small cakes. Fry for 5-6 minutes on one side, then turn cakes over and fry for 4-5 minutes on the other side, until both sides are golden brown. Serve with chilled apple salsa.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am real happy that you are getting back in the kitchen. I am going to try this recipe. thank you! I think my daughter will like this one!

Sue W.

Melissa McClone said...

Those sound yummy! It's so good to have you back. I've missed you and all your recipes.

Can't believe the weather you're having though. We have rain and hail. But the sun finally peeked out!

Dru said...

I love that you are doing what you love...cooking food.