CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 20, 2009

Have Mercy!

I feel like Bill Murray. I never thought I'd say that but there you have it. Bill. Murray. In Groundhog Day, you know?

Just saying, the white stuff I spent yesterday morning clearing from the driveway is back. And it's brought reinforcements.

Egads! (I love that word.)

When will it stop? When will we see grass for more than an hour? When-- Oh, you get the idea already.

I am so at the end of my snow rope. Can you tell?

So this morning after I choke down my coffee and mutter around my waffles, I'll suit up and start my new best friend, the snowblower. Then I'll tackle that ^&*%##! driveway again, hoping that if I do slide on a patch of ice buried beneath the snow I won't break anything as I bounce around on the ground. Yeah, this country living gig is so sophisticated.

On a less-grumbly note, I've been giving a great deal of thought to the summer gardens. Last year we had ten vegetable gardens, and could feed an entire neighborhood with our excess harvest. This year we're going to have only one small garden but I'm going to share the whole gardening process with you. Hopefully by harvest time we'll marvel over how much we actually grew in a small space with a minimum amount of fuss. The hardest part will be choosing what to grow and what to forego this year. I don't think we'll have space for walking stick kale but I do hope to find a spot for some fennel. We'll see.

But first, before I can map out a garden, I've got a chore to do. You know what it is. Don't make me say that word again, please. That s-word--you know the one.

What have you got planned for this Friday in February? Anything you'd care to share? Hmm?

5 comments:

Wendy said...

As the last of our snow melts today, I will think of you shoveling :)

Marianne Arkins said...

Wendy... Sarita and I are going to come over there and smack you. Just saying... lol...

And, S, I'm so with you. I could NOT believe it when I woke up to snow today!

Small gardens are good, but limiting. I've learned how to make plants grow UP instead of OUT (like squash) -- I use stakes and tomato cages for just about everything. AND, I really only grow 4 or 5 crops. My first few years here, I had a garden twice as big... but I found that I really only used a few items most. Tomatoes. Cucumbers. Peppers (which don't grow well here, so I may skip this year). Squash. Italian herbs. Sometimes potatoes (though last year's crop was horrible and a space waster).

We'll see. Every year is a new adventure!

Dru said...

I will enjoy growing your garden vicarioulsy through you.

Melissa McClone said...

I spent the day with Amy! She told me I should plant a garden. We used to belong to a CSA so I'm used to someone doing all the work for me. Should be interesting!

Diane Craver said...

I look forward to hearing about your garden.

Sorry about your driveway. We might only get an inch of snow tomorrow.