CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 23, 2009

Reading?

What are you reading? Anything interesting?

Me? I’m revisiting old friends this week. A few days ago I pulled two all-time favorites from my bookshelf and it feels fabulous to spend time with them.

Tenor of Love by Mary DiMichele is a fictionalized account of love, passion and betrayal involving one of the greatest opera singers of all time, Enrico Caruso. We are opera lovers in this house, so reading about Caruso’s life warms my heart on many levels. I enjoy “hearing” about Puccini, about the tenor’s time at the Metropolitan Opera in New York and the Tuscan life that produced such a memorable figure. I’ve read Tenor of Love many times and each time I find something new to make me smile.

Currently I am reading one of my very favorite books, Under the Tuscan Sun. Frances Mayes tells a riveting tale of falling in love with a crumbling villa in the Italian countryside. She shows the pulse of the people in the area, and brings the scents, sights and tastes of her adopted country to life so vividly I feel transported every time I dive into my well-worn copy of her fabulous book.

Do you have old favorites you return to time and again, like I do? And do they make you feel the way these books make me feel—like I’m visiting with dear friends? I hope you do…and that they do.

6 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

I do have books I read over and over. I even have one called Constance which I first read in 7th grade. LOL. Currently I'm reading a Nora Roberts book, one of her Silhouettes, while I'm waiting for my daughter to finish reading Eclipse the third book in the Twilight series. I'm really liking those books. I've got a Mrs. Robinson-like crush on Edward, the hero of the series (okay, the one from the movie).

Dru said...

I have several books that I read over and over, particularly, the In Death series by J.D. Robb, but the one book that after I read it, I feel a sense of accomplishment is To Kill A Mockingbird.

This was one of those books that we had to read but once I read the first chapter I was hooked and could feel the intensity of the characters.It didn't hurt that after we saw the movie, I was in love with Atticus Finch.

Have a good Friday.

Wendy said...

Hmmm - books I read again and again? Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery is right up there. Love it! The Firm by John Grisham, and Christy by Catherine Marshall are more two favorites. Right now I am reading yet another book by my new favorite author, Davis Bunn. This one is called "All Through the Night", and it has me hooked.

Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big Nora Roberts fan. I read hers over and over. I never get enough of the way she weaves just the right amount of tension and romance.

Pam

Amy said...

I love Under The Tuscan Sun. Reading Lolita in Tehran is another amazing memoir.

Right now I'm reading Band Geek Love and have The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks on deck. And several other books as well. And some critiquing to do. And a cold read. And taxes. Oh, dang. Gotta do my taxes this weekend. And packing....

I'm too busy! I need a cookie and a book.

Amy said...

And hit send before I was done....

My re-reads are Crusie's Bet Me and the Dempsy books, and anything Christie Ridgway or Rachel Gibson.