CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reading?

We were in a hospital room on Christmas so most of our holiday gifts went unopened for weeks. We are just now opening packages—something that feels strange but is also a happy event.

My godmother always sends the best books in her packages. She has a knack for choosing books that I love but wouldn’t usually buy for myself. This year one of the titles she sent is The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark. I began reading it last night and I’ve got to tell you, I’m loving every single word of it so far! Don’t you just love it when you’re pulled right into a story? This is historical fiction that feels very Edgar Allen Poe-ish, and while I was intrigued from the first sentence I was also a tad frightened. Glad, too, that I didn’t live in 1666!

I’ll let you know how it ends up. I’m savoring this book so even though I want to hunker down and zip right through it I’m restraining myself. Too, there are other things that require my attention at the moment so I’ve got the chance to mull the story over in my mind bit by bit.

What about you? Have you read anything recently that completely transported you to another time and place? Any recommendations?

4 comments:

Melissa McClone said...

Enjoy your book. I haven't read a book like that in a long time unfortunately. Probably because I'm not reading as much as I used to right now!

Dru said...

Most of the books that I read take place in the present.

Anonymous said...

Hey there

I'm reading Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian and really enjoying it. A bit of love, a bit of war (towards end of WWII). It's a good book - at least I think so.
Glad all is on the improve.

Love

Aussie Jude x

Nicole McCaffrey said...

Oh I love Edgar Allen Poe! I'll definitely be interested in hearing how the book ends up.

Sarita, I'm so sorry you've had such a rough few weeks! I hope your darling hubby is home now and things are better.

If you have a chance, stop by my blog--I've tagged you.

Nic