CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NaNo No-No?

National Novel Writing Month, NaNo for short, begins in just a few short days. A matter of hours, really. And while I realize that all around me people are plotting, filling in character sketches, planning and compiling, I'm not doing any of that. Nothing. Although I've done the novel-writing challenge successfully a few times, I'm beginning to wonder....

Is my lack of preparation a NaNo no-no?

What do I have? Well, I've got a title. And an idea. Well, a glimmer of an idea. I know...well, I almost know what's going to happen in the book. Maybe. Kind of. Well, possibly.

In the past I've written books both "by the outline" and "by the pants" and both methods have worked for me. So I guess this one is going to be a by-the-pants book. Since I've already got a publisher in mind for the project, let's hope it turns out to be a good by-the-pants book.

Now if I can only remember to wear pants every day in November, I'll be all right.

So...how's your Tuesday shaping up? Any by-the-pants plans for today?

4 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I have a vague idea what I'm doing for NaNo. My conflict needs to be stronger, but I have my characters... I have my opening scene... I have animals...

Life is good.

:-)

((Now, remind me I said that when mid-November arrives))

Dru said...

I'm rooting for all my friends with their NaNo endeavor.

Melissa McClone said...

I usually do nothing for NaNo as far as prep. A title, some characters, but I never do character sheets anyway, not for any book. So you're right on track with me. I only have a plot outlined this time because a story hit me when I got back from RWA in SF and I had another book to write and knew I'd never remember it so I wrote it all down. But what I call a plot outline, others might call it a piece of trash with words written on it!

You are all set for NaNo as far as I'm concerned!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I think NaNo is MEANT to be a pantser type thing. If you read NO PLOT? NO PROBLEM! He's very keen on not having a plan. Because, really, prep time IS part of the novel writing time.

Good luck. I think I'm out for NaNo this year. I have a project ready to go, but I must finish the one I'm in the middle of FIRST. Ain't gonna happen by Saturday.