CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Summer Pleasures

No post about writing today. Nothing about books or reading. Just plain, ordinary summer living...

It's that time of year, the time when the sun is hot, the living is easy and the zucchinis are threatening to conquer kitchens everywhere. Got your attention, didn't I? A lot of you, I'm sure, are trying to figure out just what to do with that beautiful green veggie. And you're wondering why the heck you planted so many of them in the spring. And you're making a mental note not to do that again next year! Trust me, you'll forget about the zucchini glut by next spring. You'll plant five or six, or if you're like me, eight or ten mounds of the prolific plant again next spring. Trust me, you'll do it.

Fortunately, I love zucchini. Really, I love it. (No fooling!) In our house we eat a lot of zucchini, so I'm pretty inventive about how it's served. Lots of recipes...lots of 'em.

I love zucchini. And I love chocolate. Soooo...

Just sharing a summer recipe today. See? I told you, nothing about books or writing. Hope you enjoy!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 c. grated zucchini
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. olive oil
3 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. dry cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 c. chopped nuts
1 c. chocolate chips

Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil in a large bowl. Add zucchini and mix.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and ginger. Add to zucchini mixture and mix well. Add the nuts and chocolate chips.

Pour batter into buttered loaf pan. Place pan in a pre-heated 325-degree oven and bake for 75 minutes.

0 comments: