CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The Best-Laid Plans...


Last February we ordered a box of seeds from Burpee. We perused the catalog, bought vegetables and flowers. We wrote a large check, telling ourselves that the flowers would bring us joy and the veggies would feed us all year.

Life throws twists at us, as we all know. The gardens didn't get planted last year, but we told ourselves that we'd be all set for this year's gardens. Seeds don't go bad; we figured we'd plant everything this year and be filled with joy as well as being well fed.

A few days ago I opened the expensive Burpee box. Evindently the box had a visitor while we were in the hospital in Boston. The mouse must have been very, very hungry because the little rat, er... mousie, ate every last seed.

Not exactly bringing me joy or feeding me, this box. Can you see where the packets are chewed open? Ahh!

I did pick up some pepper seeds about a month ago, purely because I couldn't resist the pretty photo on the packet. Good thing I did!

I'll be perusing the shelves at the local Agway for seeds to replace the ones eaten by our univited guest. What about you? Planning to do any gardening this year?

6 comments:

Dru said...

No garden here, but I'll enjoy planting and watering and picking the fruits and veggies vicariously through you.

Wendy said...

I'm with Dru. I'll look forward to reading about your adventures, as the extent of my gardening activity is watching my husband mow the lawn!

Melissa McClone said...

Oh, no! Sorry... But I'm kind of giggling at how the mouse must have felt when he found the box of seeds. SCORE!

Just think how you can look back and laugh when you reap whatever you plant this season! And it would be great to use in a book!

Sarita Leone said...

Dru and Wendy, I hope to bring better gardening news than this your way! Before long there will be seedlings in the greenhouse. Then, to the gardens! Yay!

Thanks for stopping by. I love seeing you here!

Sarita Leone said...

Melissa, You have a great sense of humor. I have to admit, I've been giving the little guy who found our stash some credit. He chewed a little hole in one corner of the box, then was probably in mouse heaven.

You're right, this would work well in a book. Thanks!

Hope your writing is going well!

Marianne Arkins said...

Definitely going to garden! I'm already planning, even if I won't be able to start for a couple of months.

I can't wait to see pictures of yours :-)