CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Reading?

It's Saturday and I thought I'd catch you up on what I've been reading. Nothing as thought-provoking as last week's offering but highly entertaining nonetheless. I've filled up the long, quiet afternoon hours this past week sitting beside a roaring fire inhaling contemporary romances. Avons, Kensingtons, Harlequins...I've read a few from each publisher.

Research. My reading selections are actually research. How? I'm getting a "feel" for what each publisher, and their various lines, looks for in a manuscript. It's much easier to get a manuscript considered for publication if you adhere to a simple rule of thumb: Give them what they want. Really. If you're serious about having a novel accepted at a particular house, find out what they publish and do your level best to give them that sort of submission. Granted, it won't guarantee acceptance. Nothing guarantees acceptance, unless you've got a huge body of work and a headline-making name. (I trust you know I'm referring to my favorite author, He Who Need Not Be Named.)

Why the research? Why not? How better to hone skills than by immersing myself in my chosen field? Besides, romance goes so well with snowy afternoons, doesn't it?

What are you reading?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

An Emily Hendrickson Regency. I can't think of the name right now but it's a good one. Most of hers are.

kate

Dru said...

I'm reading Last Seen Alive by Carlene Thompson. I just finished Three In Death by J.D. Robb.

Anonymous said...

I'm into another Monica McInerney "Family Baggage" but it's nowhere near as good as her latest book "Those Faraday Girls".
Aussie Jude

Marianne Arkins said...

I just read a HQ American "In A Soldiers Arms" -- coming out in two weeks. It's good! That's the line I'm most likely to target, so yeah-- research!

And, hey, I live really close to He Who Need Not Be Named. Want me to stalk him for you? *G*

Sarita Leone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarita Leone said...

Oh my gosh, Marianne, I had no idea you breathe the same air as He Who Need Not Be Named.

I may need to visit you, LOL.