CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Moonstruck

Numbers are pressed by memory rather than sight. Eyes turned to the sky, the phone rings once...twice...

"Hello?"

"Dad-"

"It started early!"

"I know. I thought I'd look outside and-"

"Me, too. I went to check and-"

"It started."

"Early."

Silence. Several heartbeats' worth.

"Isn't it beautiful?"

"Gorgeous."

"Cold there?"

Shivering, "Yeah."

"Here, too. Must be about sixty, sixty-five. There?"

"Six, seven maybe."

"But clear. The sky is clear, isn't it?"

"As a bell."

Silence. Breathing slows. Synchronizes.

"Go inside."

"You, too."

"Don't want you to get sick."

"You, either."

"But it's beautiful, isn't it?"

"Perfect."

"'Night, then."

"'Night, Dad."

Between Florida and New York there's less distance than one might expect. Especially during a lunar eclipse. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing this.

I didn't see the eclipse. It was cloudy. :-(

Jenn

Marianne Arkins said...

How sweet... :-)

I forgot about the eclipse, darn it. Sad, too, cuz when I took the dog out before bed I commented out loud to myself how gorgeous, bright and close the moon looked.

**sigh**

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I just printed it so I can read it again. Great that you have such a good relationship with your father. :-)

Pam

Mary said...

We watched it too and it was stunning. The orange glow made it spectacular.

Melissa McClone said...

Awwww. Lovely post, Sarita. Thank you!

Dru said...

That was beautiful.