CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Opportunities

I'm sitting here in the darkness, the blue glow from my computer illuminating my fingers as they move furiously across the keyboard. I've been here for hours. It's Sunday morning and the world sleeps, yet I'm awake. Smiling, I consider the couple of other writers I know who, most likely, are also at their desks at this early hour. There is a list, albeit a short one. Yes, we writers are a dedicated, hearty crew.

I've already answered business emails, "chatted" on readers' loops, contributed to authors' loops and am now here with you, sharing a blog post. The list is tiresome enough to make me want to turn and head for the bedroom! The warmth of our down comforter calls me, but I resist. After all, I've still got work to do and precious few hours to do it. I'm finishing up a cookbook I'm writing, hoping to get it done by tomorrow at the latest. I anticipate a flurry of activity connected to the release of Vineyard Mambo, my second novel, so this cookbook has got to be done. Soon. So, I push on.

I'm reminded of a line from Ann Landers. I read it a long time ago and jotted it in a small leather notebook I keep in my desk drawer. That book is filled with little reminders of things that made an impression on me. The line?

Opportunities are disguised by hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

I love being a published author. But don't kid yourself. This is an opportunity disguised, like Ms. Landers said, by hard work.

Now, a cookbook calls...more loudly than the warmth of my bed.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Dru said...

Good luck with your cookbook.

Hey, your new book is not listed on whiskey press..oh never mind it's in the coming soon section.

Marianne Arkins said...

You talking about me??

:-D

Yep, I've been up since o'dark thirty working on promo stuff for Liv. Ugh. It's a pain, but necessary.