CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Snowdance

Snowdance features an amazing woman named Elinor. She's got many talents--one of her strongest is her cooking ability. Thought I'd share her recipe for cornbread. I hope you enjoy it!

Elinor's Fast Cornbread

4 T. butter
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425°.

Use butter to grease cast iron skillet. Place in warmed oven, wait until butter melts, then swirl around in skillet until all sides are evenly coated. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. I use an old Fiestaware bowl, a yellow one, but you can use any kind of bowl you've got on hand. Then, add the egg and milk and stir until the batter is well, you know. Like batter.

If there's a little butter left in the skillet, pour that into the batter and mix it in. Then, pour the batter into the skillet. Pop the skillet into the hot oven and bake the whole shebang for, I don't know...maybe a half hour or so. You'll know when the cornbread is done. It'll be golden brown on the top and a little bit crusty on the bottom.

Serve it with dinner, or for a snack. It's good hot from the oven and cooled the next morning for breakfast. But if you really want to have leftovers for breakfast the next day, you'd best double the recipe. Yes, I'd say make two if you really want to eat your fill.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I LOVE cornbread, but I've never baked it in a cast iron frying pan. What size do you use? Mine is about a 10" diameter, I think. Thanks for the recipe!

Dru said...

I haven't had cornbread in a long time. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Mary said...

I love Elinor. Snowdance is one of my favorite books!

Now to try that cornbread.......