CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 15, 2008

Reading?

I don't read as much during the summer as I do during the snowy, cold winter months. That's not to say I don't still read a lot. I do. A lot. But just not as much, you know?

What about you? A summer reader? Winter reader? Just all-around, have-to-read-or-I'll-perish kind of reader? Hmm?

Last week we had some friends over for dinner. That's such a weird expression, isn't it? Over for dinner. Hmmph. The expression kind of bugs me, so let's just say Penny and Jim weren't the dinner; they shared dinner with us. Okay?

Anyhow, Penny asked what I've been reading. I told her about a book I consider one of the best books I"ve read in a long, long time. It's called The Gargoyle and is Andrew Davidson's debut novel. The New York Times gives the scoop on the book here, if you're interested in checking it out.

I loved it for so many reasons but mostly because it's a story of redemption. I like those. And while it's sometimes horribly vivid, it's brutally honest. Again, I like that. Also in its favor, it's almost flawless in its delivery. And that? I like that very, very much. But mostly, I was enthralled by this story because I cared about the characters. I wanted this almost-dead, suffering man to live, to laugh and love anew. And the woman who comes to his rescue, just when he needs rescuing the most...wow. That's all I can say about Marianne. Just wow. It's not often a character leaves me speechless, but this one did.

So, what have you been reading? Please share.

3 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Last book I read was... Um...

Dang, I haven't been reading much.

OH... it was "Lost in Paradise" by Allie Boniface. Her books are finally in print, so I can finally read them.

I have little time for reading anymore.

Dru said...

I'm an all-around reader.

Last book I read was Open Season by Linda Howard.

Melissa McClone said...

I just read As Good As It Got by Isabel Sharpe. Women's Fiction type story.