CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Heat Stroke

It hits fast. Hard. And I know it will be an unforgettable experience.

By the time I realized I was feeling more than just hot and crappy, it was too late. I was in trouble. Big trouble.

Having said that, I know I'm beyond words fortunate. I'm still standing. Shaky, but still here.

So, a short lesson. Don't do what I did. Don't think that drinking water, even lots of water, covers your butt. It doesn't. Forget weeding. Forget mowing. Forget brush-clearing near the barn. Forget it all. It doesn't matter--not when weighed against your life. Just forget it.

And if you feel crappy, hot and miserable, don't just call those around you to make sure they're all okay. Yes, it's important to keep an eye on friends, family and neighbors but be smarter than I was. Keep an eye on you.

Believe me, heat cramps and the rest of it are things you'd rather not have in your memories.

So I'm still taking it slow and easy here. Thursday night put an end to my go-go-go plans for the week. Just hanging in front of a fan, resting, drinking lots of fluids, staying cool and napping. Reading when my eyes and head don't hurt too much. Beginning to eat soft foods. Lots of ice cream and pudding.

Other than that? Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Other than this, telling you what happened here this week at Villa Leone. Why share this info? So it doesn't happen at your house! Be smart in this blistering heat wave, please!

8 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Oh, no! Heat stroke is serious business. I'm glad you're okay, and I'm betting it was a scary lesson.

No more work for you, okay? You need time to recover.

Mary said...

OMG that's too frightening!! Thank God you are ok!

Are you staying cool?

((((HUGS))))

Dru said...

I for one is glad you're on the mend, but don't ever do that again.

Take care and have a lazy weekend.

Dru said...

it should be "I for one am"

Anonymous said...

However Dru says it I agree. Don't do it again!

I am sending you tremendous hugs from here in Oz.

Love ya!
Sue W.

Unknown said...

You should avoid doing it again. Heat strokes could definitely be fatal, you know. I'm glad you are doing fine already.

Shearer's Girl said...

I'm sorry you've had heat stroke. So glad you are on the mend, do take care.

Marianne Arkins said...

Oh goodness! You were out working in that crazy weather? You're a far braver soul than I.

I'm glad you're okay.