CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Summertime flash

I know this should go on the From the Kitchen page but I don't want anyone to miss it. It's that good!

A few years ago we planted a couple of strawberry patches in our yard. I love strawberries, and so does my husband. At the time it seemed like one patch just wouldn’t produce enough berries for our needs (desires!), so we tilled and planted in a number of different areas. Am I glad we did! Now summertime means strawberries in abundance! We pick enough sweet red berries to eat as many as we can possibly eat, and then some. The excess we use for jam. What’s left over after the jam, we freeze.

This morning I plan to pull out some frozen strawberries and make this cobbler recipe. It’s a simple recipe and it doesn’t matter a whit whether the berries are fresh or frozen.

Just one bite of this cobbler reminds me of long, hot summer days…fireflies and dandelions…reading in a hammock strung beneath two towering pines…

Summertime, when the living is easy…


Strawberry Cobbler

4 cups sliced strawberries
1 T. lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
1 T. cornstarch
2 cups biscuit mix
3 T. melted butter
½ cup milk
2 t. vanilla
½ t. cinnamon

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine strawberries, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch . Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until mixture thickens. Pour hot strawberry mixture into an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine biscuit mix, butter, milk , vanilla and cinnamon. Drop batter by spoonfuls over strawberry mixture.

Place baking pan in a pre-heated 400-degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have I seen this somewhere before? It sounds yummy! Dandelions...wet-the-beds over here. We used to split the stems with our fingernails and thread another stem through; continue on in this way to make necklets - oh to be a child and living back in the country.

Aussie Jude

Anonymous said...

This sounds amazing. I love strawberries.

-Pam

Nicole McCaffrey said...

mmmmmmm!! My mouth is watering!

I have strawberries planted in my yard as well--unfortunately, the bunnies and squirrels enjoy more of them than we ever do, LOL.

But I am definitely printing out a copy of this recipe and trying it out!

I can taste summer already! Yum!

Melissa McClone said...

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds so yummy! We're big fans of strawberries here. I just had some fresh ones at lunchtime!