CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 31, 2008

Riding Shotgun After Midnight

Happy Monday morning. So glad to see you.

I've been awake for hours, something I hadn't planned on but which has definitely been a productive move. I've gotten lots of catch-up work done and the sun hasn't even peeked over the horizon yet.

And what do I have to thank for this glut of pre-dawn work time? None other than my subconscious, who in its infinite wisdom chose to grace me with a terror-inducing nightmare at 4 am. Yes, 4 am. Exactly.

How am I so sure it was precisely 4 am? Because about twenty seconds after I sat straight up in the bed, the grandfather clock began to toll. I didn't even need to count the chimes, although I did, from force of habit I suppose. No, I knew how many times the chimes would sound.

How did I know? Because at least once a week my darling, overactive subconscious sees fit to wake me with a nightmare. At exactly 4 am. Apparently 4 am is the nightmare hour, at least for me. 4 am. Ugh. I just want to know why 7 or even 8 can't be my magical nighmare number? Huh? What's up with that, anyway?

It would figure that one of this morning's news headlines is about a Bullet-Proof "Safe" Bed that has its own toilet, microwave and can stop a .357 slug. I want to know who goes to sleep expecting they may be shot at while they're wearing their jammies? Me, I wouldn't go to sleep --ever-- if I figured my flowered flannels would be full of holes by morning. I could never sleep in the "safe" bed, anyway. It looks like a coffin and I'm going to save my coffin-dwelling time for when I really need it, like when I'm in eternal slumber mode. And while I know an in-bed toilet would please some people, it's something I, personally, never hope to see. Don't even get me started on the whys of that because hey, it's early and I've got a lot of time on my hands and I might just tell you what I think of sleeping and, well, doing other things in the same space. Uh uh. Not for me, thank you very much.

The full "safe" bed article is here. In case you're, you know, interested in that sort of thing.

And I doubt even a microwave in my bed could prevent the 4 am nightmares. I don't use the kitchen microwave for anything other than heating water for tea and doing so would stimulate a need to use the facilities. I've already made my position on that one clear.

Sigmund Freud said that dreams are a "safety valve" for unconscious desires. Huh. I wonder what that says about my 4 am escapades?

I checked out the nighmare page at Psychology Today. Their basic take on the situation? Most nightmares may be a normal reaction to stress, and some clinicians believe they aid people in working through traumatic events.

Okay, then. I wasn't ever worried about my 4 am nightmares, especially since I use the extra waking hours to get stuff done at the computer. And since the great minds of psychology feel my vivid dreams are nothing more than a safety valve for subliminal urges and are helping me deal with real or imagined stress or trauma, it's all good. I mean, how could it not be?

Now I know for sure that if I'm ever on a pilotless plane flying through the vortex of a thunderstorm/hurricane/tsunami in a first class cabin filled with flesh-eating aliens and no olives for the martinis, I'll do just fine. Just. Fine.

What about you? Do you have nightmares, or are all your dream trips the warm, fuzzy kind?

I'm sure I saw an empty seat or two on the plane, if you're interested. They were in coach, mind you, but I'll bet the view is just as thrilling. Maybe more so, even. Who knows? The aliens back there might be more into discussing books and movies than eating your face. Or, maybe not.

I guess that's part of the fun of the 4 am nightmare ride. You just never know when it's going to begin. Or how it's going to end.

7 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Bullet proof bed. Huh.

I'm a firm believer that when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. God has an amazing sense of humor... I can just see him taking care of that puppy in a hot second. You can't hide from the Grim Reaper, LOL.

I'll join you on that plane ride next time. It's always more fun with friends! HA! *snort*

Sarita Leone said...

Marianne, we're moving one of the aliens to the back of the plane and you're riding in first class with me. I'd love to have a friendly face along for the ride! *BG*

Um...can you tuck a jar of olives in your pocket before boarding? Empty martinis can be so dull... :)

Melissa McClone said...

I have warm and fuzzy feel good dreams, but I also have my share of nightmares. Plane ones, too. When that happens I'm up for the rest of the night.

Dru said...

That looks like a coffin to me and since it closes up, I wouldn't be able to see what's going on outside. No. That safe-bed is not for me.

My nightmares are in techno-color and is so believable. When I'm awaken from a nightmare, I put on a comedy show.

Are there snakes on your plane?

Unknown said...

I occasionally have nightmares, but haven't had any in a long time. That is so weird that they wake you at exactly 4 am.

Sarita Leone said...

Melissa, I do have a lot of nice dreams but these plane ones really make me shudder. Interesting to know you have them, too.

Oh Dru, no snakes on the plane, thank God! I don't think I'd ever be able to go sleep if I worried I'd encounter snakes. They completely unhinge me.

Isn't it weird, Ashley, that I wake at exactly the same time, every time? My hubby thinks that it's the "prime dream time" for me, so I have the most vivid dreams/nightmares then. He's probably right, but I still wish my prime time was closer to daybreak, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Well girls, I know this reply is late, but I've got to tell you, I wake up at 2.30am and I've had my dearly departed Dad standing at the bottom of my bed (I loved that one...it was sooooooooooo real and I couldn't wait to get back into bed the next night to see him again)and I've also had my boob stuck in the mammography machine (that might be because I'm up to my neck in mammography sensitometry at work at the moment and it's very "trying" and bothering me lots.

Aussie Jude