CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

William Faulkner & The Buzzard

"If I were reincarnated, I’d want to come back a buzzard. Nothing hates him or envies him or wants him or needs him. He is never bothered or in danger, and he can eat anything." — William Faulkner

I've always been a fan of William Faulkner. Loved classes devoted to his work in college, often reading the entire required reading list before the third week of classes. Faulkner, with his rambling stream-of-consciousness style, appealed to me then and it still does. I especially like As I Lay Dying and Light In August. I can't say why I like them more than others, just that I do. I guess that's the way it is...some things appeal just because they do.

Love the thought on buzzards and reincarnation. Makes me smile every time I think of it. Reminds me that even "serious" writers can have a warped sense of humor. Shows, too, that we all have a place in this world--even buzzards.

Saw one yesterday, flying in the distance. No, not a writer. A buzzard. I saw a buzzard. Hmm...do you think? Reincarnated, maybe? Maybe...nah, it couldn't have been. Could it?

2 comments:

Ava James ~Romance Writer said...

A man's moral conscience is the curse he had to accept from the gods in order to gain from them the right to dream.
~ William Faulkner

This one is my favorite!

Ava James ~Romance Writer said...

Two other great ones. . .
Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.


An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why.
~ William Faulkner

Just thought they might inspire you in your NaNo blitz.