CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Revolving Resolutions

It’s that time of year again, isn’t it? The time we list-making, Type-A personalities love.

That’s right. It’s resolution time.

Do you make resolutions? I admit, I’m a grand resolution-maker. And, most years I keep those resolutions. Really.

I’m not pulling your leg. I really do keep them.

Sickening, isn’t it?

Anyhow, this year things have been…different. My usual gung-ho, resolution-making self is taking a break from big yearly pledges. There is simply too much else going on to concentrate on keeping up with language lessons, spending promised time in a volunteer position or going to the gym on a regular basis. I can’t commit to a schedule for things like that, so I’m not going to.

Still, I can’t let the yearly resolution event pass me by so I’ve devised a new way to make New Year’s resolutions, at least for this year. That’s right, I’ve “improved” the age-old tradition.

Now, before you get upset by my tinkering with convention, let me say that I don’t expect my handy-dandy new method will catch on. It is designed purely for my own benefit, and, as you’ll see, caters to the demands of my personal life.

Pardon? Oh, how silly! I haven’t told you about my idea, have I?

This year I’m going to be making monthly resolutions. That’s right. Instead of resolving to do (or not do!) something for the entire year, I’m going to make a pertinent, and hopefully achievable, monthly resolution. Sort of makes the whole process a series of short-term goals instead of one sweeping mandate.

Who knows? Maybe this will become a habit, and I’ll tackle one issue a month for the rest of my life. Or I may loathe the idea, whole-heartedly embracing the New Year resolution-making process come next December. In any case, I’ll learn something about myself. No harm in that, is there?

Hmm? Oh, right—the January resolution. I nearly forgot to let you in on that one, didn’t I?

Cookies. I’m giving up cookies for January. I know it sounds ridiculous but let me tell you I love my cookies. They’re a big thing in this house and I’ll definitely feel their absence for thirty-one days. I’m hoping my backside will notice their departure from my daily diet, as well.

I assure you, I’ve also set personal and professional goals for the new year. Those are a must. It’s just that this year I’m taking things, overall, a bit more slowly. Starting with cookies.

What about you? Made any resolutions?

4 comments:

Dru said...

I like, no, I love the idea of a monthly resolutions.

I haven't planned on making any resolutions - but a monthly one, I think that can work.

Mary said...

What a great idea! I don't usually make resolutions but I think that I could do this.

Good luck with the cookie month. That will be hard!

Sue W. said...

Exercise more, that is always my resolution. Blech.

Melissa McClone said...

I always make resolutions. Just haven't had time to figure mine out. That's on my To Do list today.