CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Green tomato rescue

Recently someone asked what I planned to do with all the unripe tomatoes rescued from the garden. We've already had frost here so if we hadn't picked everything it would be lost. Still...we've got bushels of green tomatoes. The question is a valid one...what to do with so many unripe tomatoes?

The truth is that a majority of them will ripen up. After a certain point it doesn't matter whether or not they're attached to the vine. They've begun to ripen and will continue to do so--in the garden or in a bushel. So most of the rescuees will turn red and we'll either can them or eat them now. But the rest? There are loads of uses for green tomatoes!

Of course the most obvious is the fried green tomato route. Have you ever had a fried green tomato? No? What are you waiting for? Hmm? They couldn't be easier to prepare and while I wouldn't want a steady diet of them they're one of the fun summertime side dishes that we look forward to.

If you've got a green tomato and want to try frying it, simply slice it thin and dip in any batter. We use a simple beer batter but any coating batter will do. Then, drop the slices into hot oil. They puff right up, turn golden brown and smell heavenly. When the slices reach your favorite crispness, remove from oil and drain on paper towels. See? Easy as pie.

Many of the green tomatoes will end up in relish. I've also got a recipe for picallily that I'm going to try. I'll let you know how that turns out.

So, with so many uses for rescued green tomatoes there hardly seems to be enough to go around! See what I mean?

What about you? Have you got any ideas about using up the garden's glut--uh, bounty?



4 comments:

Rowena said...

Okay I'm going to take this as a sign...a sign that maybe, just maybe I should give in and pick those green tomatoes before they become the victims of frost! I've been reluctant to gather them, being the hard-headed gardener that I am, since I have this thing about seeing them ripen on the vine instead of downstairs in my cellar. I know that green toms will ripen but it's that whole color thing that stops me.

Ok, perhaps one or two a day. Unless the weatherman predicts even colder weather ahead!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Fried Green Tomatoes! yum, yum, yum. Green Tomato Salsa is another yummy one.

If you have a vine with a lot of green tomatoes on it, you can pick the whole vine and hang it upside down. My grandmother (who was a farmer for years and years) says they'll ripen in no time.

One of our tomatoes this year looked like little racquet-ball-sized watermelons (they were BRIGHT GREEN), but they were soooo delicious.

We had such a lousy summer that over half our tomatoes did NOT ripen. So we'll be eating a lot of green tomatoes.

Just don't eat too many. They move through you, FAST.

Dru said...

I've never had fried green tomatoes.

Melissa McClone said...

Could you can/jar some of your extra? Or go ahead and make pasta sauce ahead of time and then freeze it for the winter?

Whatever you do they look delicious.