CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 12, 2009

One Shovelful at a Time

Ah, yes, the fun on the farm never ends.

I've got a new flower bed. Now, flower beds don't just come ready to plant. It would be great if they did, but they don't. At least not in our middle-of-nowhere back yard.

First, I built the bed, using treated landscape timbers. I won't bore you with that, since it is basically an empty rectangle.

Building the bed was the easy part, anyway. Filling the bed? A whole other story!

See this? It's a truckful of soil. Notice how it's not in the empty, newly-built flower bed? You know how it gets from the truck to the flower bed, don't you?

I'll spare you the photo of my shovel. I'll also give you a pass on the shot of my filthy sneakers.

After I shoveled the soil into the bed, I went for part two of the Make A New Flowerbed Plan.

Ever wondered what a truckful of cedar mulch looks like? Hmm? The landscaping term for this amount of anything is a "yard" which sounds friendly but feels like a whole "neighborhood" when you move it one shovelful at a time. I spent most of my Thursday afternoon building the new flower bed. I'm happy with the outcome, and secure in the knowledge that I don't have to rush to the gym for a workout for the next couple of days.
Oh? The flowers? Truthfully, after building and filling the bed, I was too tired to even consider planting any flowers!

4 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Oh, man... I feel for you. I really, really do.

But when you get your flowers in there? It'll all be worth it!

Melissa McClone said...

It'll be a lot of work, but I can't wait to see pictures of your blooming flower bed!

Dru said...

I want to see the shovel.

The flower bed looks cute and I bet the flowers will be too when they start to sprout.

Diane Craver said...

I smiled when I read your post because my husband just made a new flower bed.