CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

Frost-fighting weekend

Brr! That's right! BRR! Here in my neighborhood the nights have been awful chilly. While the days have been gorgeous, nighttime temps are dropping down near freezing. I wouldn't mind, except that I've got a greenhouse full of stuff. I mean, I've been babying some of the plants since February, so I'd hate to see them freeze. The greenhouse isn't heated, so when the thermometer plunges, my little plants start to shiver.

What to do? Well, if you're a nutcase like me, you head out to the greenhouse in the pre-dawn hours and light a kerosene heater in the space. This morning at 3 am that's exactly what I was doing. Yesterday morning, too. After the heater started warming the space I came inside, drank a cup of tea and watched the news while my seedlings stopped shivering. When the sun came up I went back outside, turned the heater off and smiled. It was 80 in the greenhouse and everything is looking good.

Yeah, I know I'm nuts but I've only got two more weeks before I can safely put the plants int he ground. So with five varieties of eggplant, fennel and an assortment of yummy things just beginning to really take off, it's in my own best interest to sleep lightly and be thankful for the heater. It would break my heart to lose everything at this point.

I'm amused that Mother Nature is still waving a frigid fist above the lush, green lawn and spring blossoms. Amused, as long as I can keep her from laying an icy finger on my seedlings!

So there you have it, my weekend. I spent the days in the sun, half the nights sleeping and the other hours keeping watch. What about you? How did you spend your weekend?

Today? Plans to finish tweaking a manuscript. I sent my editor the bulk of it this weekend but I've still got a few chapters to fine tune. So it'll be a busy Monday here with one eye on the screen and the other on the thermometer!

Have a great day! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing you are still having such cold weather. Good thing you were able to save your plants.

Glad you had a super weekend! It sounds like you got a lot done. We spent most of it in the yard, doing clean up and fixing a broken gutter. Loads of fun, LOL.

Pam

Unknown said...

Good luck finishing up the book!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, the kerosene heater in the hot house! You funny, funny girl. I don't think I can beat that one. I wonder if all this attention will make the flowers bigger and brighter and the vegies tastier? Can we have a photo of the heater in the hot house? PLEASE!!

Aussie Jude

Melissa McClone said...

Good luck with the manuscript and with the temperature!

I had a very nice weekend with my family. Wish I would haven't gotten more words written, but I don't mind too much. We had fun.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain on the nighttime temps. But LOL on getting up at 3 to baby the plant (we celebrated when we got full nights of sleep when the kids were babies!) I can't wait to see what all the plants look like when you finally get them in the ground.

Perhaps I should talk to Husband about putting in a greenhouse next fall....

Good luck getting all your to-dos done. I made a list this morning. Then I had to take a moment to compose myself. It was a tad overwhelming.

Dru said...

We got the same cold temps here. I was freezing this weekend.

My weekend was good. Did some quilting. Visited my mom. Fixed computer problem. All in all, it was good.

good luck with your manuscript and see you on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

The cold is everywhere it seems. We've taken a week off to drive down the coast of Oregon and it's been chilly - a bit too chilly to make for pleasant outdoor enjoyment, but . . . we are together and that's the main thing. Hopefully I can get a word or two written on the idea that's been plowing up my brain for the past while! Hugs!

Wendy

Kara Lynn Russell said...

Sarita,
While you were fighting frost this weekend, I was reading. I told my husband that a new ebook was a better investment than a mother's day card. He agreed and I bought "Finally, This Season." It was a great treat, like a piece of Godiva chocolate, but without the calories.
Kara