CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Feeling Cottage-y

A few weeks ago I posted a couple of photos of baby quilts. Do you remember those? I'd hung one from a clothesline and draped the others over a chair. Just wanted to share what I'd been doing during rainy spring afternoons that week. No big deal. Or so I thought.

It seems those photos have spawned (don't you just love that word?) a Cottage Business. You know, a home-based business. This one, I suspect, a product of less thought and intention and more serendipity than most. To make a long story short, I got inquiries about selling the quilts. So I did. After all, I hadn't made them with any specific use in mind; I'd just made them because I enjoy making them. When I was approached by buyers, I said yes. Hey, my mamma didn't raise a fool! ;-)

Still more amusing, at least in my mind, is the fact that I've got orders for more.

Go figure.

So here I have this little, completely unexpected cottage business...without a name. I mean, what should I call it? Nothing? Something? As an author I'm accustomed to having titles for things, right from the get-go. The instant I open a manuscript file and begin to write I title the thing--even if it's only WIP #so-and-so. Or Current WIP, that's a popular early stage book title around here. Sometimes it's Blasted Book! or--well, you get the idea. A title, always a title.

Cottage quilt business? Title-less. I've got to admit I'm unsettled by that. Really bugged. I've been mulling over business titles since I sold the last quilt and have come up with a couple, but none are, I don't think, The One. You know, the one that will make me smile, nod and say, "Yeah. That's the one."

I've got--and remember these are only ideas, not set in stone--these...Cottage Quilts...Quilt Du Jour...and Crazy Writer Quilts. I'm kind of leaning to the last one because really, I must be nuts to even consider this. What do you think? Any ideas? Suggestions? A large club with which to knock myself upside the head?

Hope you have a great weekend. Me? I'll be gardening, quilting, writing and, hopefully, dancing beneath the stars with my hero. Yeah, we had a clear, star-filled sky last night...summer dancing has begun around here. Let the calendar catch up to us for a change! Have a good one, friends!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so not surprised about this. Cottage Quilts, I like that name a lot.

And I love it that you dance in the moonlight. So romantic!

Pam

Marianne Arkins said...

Cottage Quilts works for me, too! LOL... or maybe just call it "Serendipity".

*G*

Dru said...

Your quilts were beautiful. I like Cottage Quilts.

Have a good weekend.

Unknown said...

I wasn't fast enough! I wanted to ask if they were for sale. Taking orders?

Unknown said...

And I like Marianne's idea. Serendipity is a cool name!!

Diane Craver said...

Sarita,
That's amazing and congratulations on your new business. I like Cottage Quilts - it's perfect.