CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Free advice--

--it's sometimes worth taking. I've read this, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Authors from The Irene Goodman Literary Agency, so many times I've paraphrased it in my mind for quick retrieval and almost mantra-like use.

Hmm? How does it sound between my ears? Oh, like this...

The Seven Staples
1. Same time, every day.
Show up, do the work--no excuses.

2. Don't give up.
Successful authors don't say, "I quit writing. It was just too hard, so I gave up, Oprah."

3. Pay attention to comments.
Even crappy ones. They're all useful.

4. Readers--give 'em what they want.

5. Figure out what you want, then get it.

6. Have a life.

7. Open the door.
When opportunity knocks, open the door!

I may not say it as succinctly as Irene Goodman but I've taken the words to heart. And really, isn't that the purpose of advice? To have an effect on the one advised?

3 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I love this... I'm book marking that page. Thanks!

Rebecca said...

some very excellent advice! Particularly "show up, do the work." That's what I need to concentrate on.

Anonymous said...

Great advice!