CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 01, 2010

A New Resolution

Oh, how on earth did February arrive so quickly? Why, it seems like just yesterday that we toasted the New Year, doesn’t it? I guess that whole “time flies” adage is true!

My resolution for January was to forego cookies. Now, anyone who knows me will assure you that I do love my cookies, so this was a big thing for me. I’m happy to report that once I made my mind up, I didn’t have a hard time sticking to the resolution. I haven’t had a cookie since 2009 and am truly pleased with myself. It’s a small thing, but sometimes small things matter.

I’ve been asked a number of times if I’m going to keep up the no-cookie rule. Now that I’ve broken the daily cookie habit I’d hate to fall back into the trap but I’d also miss sampling some of my favorite treats. Besides, around here we bake heart-shaped sugar cookies near Valentine’s Day and that’s one tradition I have no intention of giving up so I guess the answer is that I’m going to resolve to practice moderation in the cookie arena of my life. Like I said, I’m out of the habit so I don’t see myself gobbling cookies any time in the near future.

So, what’s it going to be for February? I thought you’d never ask!

Exercise. Yep, that’s the resolution for the second month of the year. I’m going to force myself to get on my exercise bike every single day this month and pedal for thirty minutes.

I’ve fallen out of the habit of “formal” exercise these past months, so I think I should make a conscious effort to get back into the practice. Lately I’ve let myself off the exercise hook. I’ve convinced myself that hauling firewood, tilling gardens, clearing snow and stacking wood pellets should exempt me from an exercise regimen. That’s hogwash—my chores aren’t a substitute for aerobic activity so, for February at least, you can be sure I’ll have my butt on the bicycle seat for a half-hour a day.

Let’s hope this goes as easily as the cookie resolution did. I’ll keep you posted.

So, what about you? Did you make New Year’s resolutions? If you did, how are you doing with them?

3 comments:

Melissa McClone said...

Some of mine are going well, other's not so good, but I'm working on it!

Dru said...

I'm taking baby steps for my resolutions. Some days are good, some not so goo.

Have a good Monday.

Diane Craver said...

I didn't really make any list this year, but did start using my treadmill again. I had to dust it off and knock cobwebs down from the ceiling in unfinished basement. It's been a long time since I used it. But I'm determined. Good luck on your resolutions.