CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

From the Farm

A warm breeze blew through the gazebo, lifting a length of embroidery floss and carrying it away like a strand of pink spun sugar. It twirled as it went, catching and hanging on the low branch of an ash tree.

"Do you need that?" He arched an eyebrow at the tree as he fanned his face with a magazine. "Want me to get it?"

She shook her head, pushing her hair off her brow with the back of her hand. The thundershowers forecast was an unfulfilled promise. Dry, dusty and stifling, the heat was oppressive.

Snipping a dangling thread, she considered getting up for a glass of lemonade. It would require a trek across the yard, something that seemed much too tedious. No, better to sweat.

"No, thanks. It was a spare, anyway." She unraveled another length of floss, doubled the strand and threaded her needle. Humming softly, she pushed the needle into the fabric.

"What is that, Here Comes Santa Claus?"

"Uh huh." She nodded. Hummed. Stitched.

A few minutes later, "It's July, and you're humming Christmas carols?"

"Yup." She bent her head to the task before her, hiding her grin.

Finally he dropped the magazine on the glass-top table and turned to face her. His curls had tightened in the heat and even with a sheen of perspiration on his brow he made her heart hammer. She waited, knowing full well what was coming.

He didn't disappoint. Leaning close, he asked, "What is it? What are you making?"

Holding up the partially stitched muslin, she said, "Snowmen."

"In July?"

"Of course. Is there a better time to make snowmen?" Poking the needle into the corner of the fabric, she placed it on the table and gathered up the snippets of thread scattered on her lap. The birds loved them for their nests so she tossed them to the grass. She stood. "Lemonade? Or iced tea?"

He picked up the fabric, examining it closely. His brow furrowed. "Lemonade, please."

"Be right back." She took two steps across the dry grass, then stopped when she heard his voice.

"Why snowmen?"

"Why not?"

"But in July?"

"No better time for it," she said, smiling.

"How do you figure?"

She shrugged. "Reminds me to enjoy the sweltering hot days of summer. Sooner than we want, snow will fall and it'll be cold. We'll wish for warm days, hot nights. We'll want sweat, even. But now? We've got it all. Great time for snowmen, don't you think?"


10 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

LOL...actually, I work on my Christmas crafts during the summer, too.

Very cute :-)

Unknown said...

You've got a point. I've got a stocking I started years ago. Maybe I should work on that, if I remember how to do it, LOL!!

Love the Wednesday stories. Want to go to the farm.

Anonymous said...

It has been hot here, too. No snowmen though. :^)

Pam

Dru said...

I was going to ask if you had a picture..thanks for sharing it.

I start thinking of what I'm making for Christmas at this time and gather all the materials.

I simply adore your Wednesday's stories.

Anonymous said...

Great story! I'm working on the third of our four Christmas stockings (of course, I've been working on it for several years...It's a very daunting project), but I only work in the summer. It's the only season where I can find uninterrupted stretches of time that can't be filled by writing because we're outside, in the car, on a field, etc.

What is your snowman going to be?

Mary said...

I want to know too what you're going to do with the snowman. And are you making more than one?

I'm with Dru. I love the Wednesday stories!

Anonymous said...

Great story. I can picture you both sitting there and you stirring DH.

Make Christmas prsents? Not this gal. I was going to buy one Christmas present each month during 2008 and so far I have bought NONE!

Aussie Jude (AKA Gonna)

Melissa McClone said...

Christmas in July makes perfect sense to me!!!!

Kara Lynn Russell said...

Sarita,
I prefer the cold to the heat, so for me the snowman would help me look forward to cooler temperatures.

Kara

Anonymous said...

I love the snowman. Great idea, making winter things in the summer. :-)


Best,
Jennifer L.